30.01.2010

interview: Sunderbans.


Here is another very perspective band. They are known as Sunderbans and live in London now. They like to travel and it feels in their music. Recently we asked these guys to tell us about themselves and answer on three questions...


1.) How did they form?


Chris: Maurice and I met while living in Sheffield in more debauched days. At the time I was in a one man band called ‘Let’s Bitter Cinema’ which consisted of a drum machine, synthesizer, electric guitar and some impassioned singing/shouting/screaming. Sheffield is a beautifully weird place which is very close to both our hearts but it had its limitations. It was time for a new adventure. By coincidence both of us decided to move to London and therefore ended up moving down together.
As well as Sheffield having its limitation so did being a one man band. I needed to find some other members. Maurice could play the guitar so he joined. Dave, a friend of friend, shared a taxi home following one of my last gigs as a one man band. He revealed he could play the drums so he was also in the band.
For some time we carried on with the moniker ‘Let’s Bitter Cinema’, playing my old songs. Within this period we learnt how to play our instruments and more importantly how to play together but we began to find the music and my history restricting and a little tiresome. We became less angry and I guess more musical.
We needed a fresh slate as were now very much a band. We started over and formed ‘Sunderbans’.

2.) About their main influences?

Maurice: I’m influenced by much of what my parents played me as a child. Particularly Nina Simone, Billie Holiday and Buddy Holly. My brother plays me lots of traditional folk - Pete Seeger, Martin Carthy, Blind Willie Johnson which inspires me too. Music I like today is Deer hunter (Microcastle/Weird Era Continued), Arcade Fire (Funeral) and Envelopes (Here Comes The Wind).

Chris: I guess I’m influenced by louder bands than Maurice, some of my favourite bands being Pixies, Sonic Youth and ..and you will know us by the trail of dead (well, definitely their earlier stuff). I used to hate the Smiths, never really got it until recently, but along with Orange Juice, they are 2 British bands that are having a real influence on me at the moment. These are just a few, I probably could go on forever.

3.) About the latest single?

“We Only Can Because We Care” is going to be our debut single which is due to be released with Young and Lost in March. Henrik Orrling from the phenomenal Envelopes produced the single which was recorded in a church in Crouch End.
We hold Henrik in such a high regard and hope to work with him again. Think he really helped us capture the essence of the band in the song. It is quite ambitious choice as it’s by no means a formulaic pop songs but are very proud of it.
Also, the brilliant Nicola Probert (his page on Facebook) has made an amazing video for song so make sure you watch it when it’s released.